Friday 19 January 2018

OUGD601 - Practical - Illustrations & Approaches

I have always loved tattoos and have been inspired by the various styles and works of art within the tattoo industry. In my own personal illustration style I have recently been experimenting with bold, black-line pieces, often feeling quite surreal which could link into the whole trendy IPA scene - especially for Carling 'Black' Label!

I considered how Grandin for Omnipollo uses the label design as a platform for his own experimental illustration work - the same idea behind the brewing of the beers - but experimentation with taste. It's their weird take on it.
So I considered how I could fit my concept around that - a platform to celebrate various artists, for various reasons, etc. Similar to the Patron Projects by Northern Monk.

- Experimented with ornamental designs. (Can have deeper meaning)



- As well as more linear, blackworker pictograms.


- I'm also always being inspired by various favourite artists on social media, etc. 





- This style can be very basic and bold, but is also very current - I love the mystery staircase and open window designs - almost surrealist??














My illustrations..

Ornament experimentation 
- created a design for a quarter and then duplicated and mirrored it to create the rest of the pattern.

- Beneath are my tattoo inspired illustrations
I love sunsets, small pictograms, hands and surrealism - The mystery black windows / portals / staircases / ladders

- It's like we don't where we're going but we're content and will always enjoy the journey - can reflect the ethos of an experimental independent craft brewery.


- The works of George Greeves inspired me to see how each piece could fit together or be presented in a weird floating room differently for example.

- Started to think about how stripped back use of colour can affect the mood of the piece too.







- Started to introduce stars and space-y vibes inspired by Nick Dwyer 

- How could a scene wrap around the bottle? 

- Have the main graphic central with background wrapping round but quite plain to fit text and ensure legibility.

- Could I even combine this with my Irish idea and feature the Leprechaun inside???

- The introduction of colour got me thinking on the complete opposite side to the spectrum.

Could I approach it with a completely minimal style which suggests its story through subtlety? - depends on the brand


- Aimed to not be over-whelmed by information but is hard-hitting and sits the graphics and story of the beer as key.

- Used the ornaments as little variants between the different flavours of the brew. 
- Same beer concept and range, just different variant - still consistent with each other however.





Other illustrations have inspired me to consider a vectorised more colourful approach perhaps?

Beach/ summer vibes aim to invoke those emotional responses with consumers - summer days with friends and family.


No comments:

Post a Comment