Sunday 24 April 2016

Feedback & Reviewing where I'm at

Where I'm at...

After a discussion with Simon he encouraged us to review where we were at with the project and gather some feedback regarding my initial ideas put forward for the project and then whether people feel it communicates what I have discussed in the essay well enough. 

Firstly, I talked the crit group through my concept with the lookbook publication and displayed my various inspirational images with the various sub-movement editorial styles and firstly asked whether I should communicate the simplistic modern movement principles on a whole, or if I should narrow it down to the specific style of either Dada/Surrealism or De Stijl. Then asking them to confirm with me their take on the modernist principles and what certain characteristics I should communicate in my work - 

Everyone agreed I should only communicate the surrealist ideas through the content that I am showing. To ensure my practical reflects and fits with my essay the best option would be to identify the modernist principles and characteristics within publication design and carry it forward to create an influenced example of what a current lookbook can look like. This would include considerations of grids, negative space, certain typographies, form following function in general and the idea of stripping back to the essence. This, in turn, will create the contrast of the current surrealist examples fitting into a strict modern layout and as there is so much going on in the Surrealist images, the layout needs to be minimal to accommodate this.

Next I questioned at what scale people think I should produce the lookbook, A4 or A5 or if I should take a more custom route like in 404. Some responses said A4, but the majority vote did point to A5 due to considerations of anthropometrics and ease of use. (It also saves me print fees!)

In terms of primary research regarding a problem I can only ask for opinions which I have done, it is more down to me correctly identifying the principles I can use that reflect the modernist style.


No comments:

Post a Comment